I hold to the sovereignty of God in all things, including salvation (Colossians 1:16-17; Romans 8:28).
- Man is marred by sin in heart, mind, and will (Romans 3:9-18; 8:5-8; John 6:36-40).
- Salvation is ultimately by God's gracious election for the praise of His glory (Ephesians 1:3-14; 2 Timothy 1:9; Acts 13:48).
- Only believers have their sins atoned for by the death of Christ (Romans 3:21-26; John 10:11; Matthew 1:21).
- Through the gospel and power of the Holy Spirit, sinners who receive new hearts from God do not resist, but rather willingly and joyfully embrace His grace (Psalm 110:3; Matthew 16:15-17; Acts 16:14).
- God keeps all His children to the end, faithfully persevering them by His power (1 Peter 1:3-5; Jude 24).
- The church must evangelize all peoples and call all men everywhere to faith and repentance. It is God's revealed will for all to be saved. It is the Christian's duty to preach the gospel and man's duty to respond in faith and repentance (John 3:16-17; Acts 20:20-21; 1 Timothy 2:4).
- True Reformed theology, therefore, creates an evangelistic fervor, not apathy. Sinners must be born again (John 3:1-8), and the gospel is the only thing that can do it (Romans 1:15-17; 1 Peter 1:22-23). As Scripture says:
Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
2 Timothy 2:10
I pastor in a Baptist church and we hold to the Baptist Faith and Message 2000.
- God has one plan in Christ that has been gradually revealed and accomplished in various, but unified, covenants.
- In the New Covenant, believers alone are to be baptized.
I hold to what is traditionally called the Five Solas (i.e., the five "alones").
- Scripture alone is our standard for faith and practice; the church does not greater or equal authority.
- Salvation is by God's grace alone, not God's grace plus man's efforts.
- Salvation is received through faith alone, not faith plus works and sacraments.
- Salvation is found in union with Christ alone, and there is no salvation apart from Him.
- Salvation is unto the glory of God alone; Christians have nothing to boast about in themselves, but can only give Jesus all the credit, honor, and glory for salvation.